Sugar ants are native to Australia and are different from pavement ants or pharaoh ant. The sugar ants are attracted to various sugary foods and sweets.
They also gain fats and proteins by eating other insects and plant pollen. When they find a food source, they plunder the food into their nests.
What do sugar ants look like?
They are small in size. The length of male sugar ant is about 1.5 to 2 mm and the length of female ant is about 4 to 4.5 mm.
The sugar ants have a long pair of antennae and 3 pairs of legs. The antennae are sensitive enough to perceive ground motions, aromas, and air currents.
By the use of their antennae, sugar ants can recognize each other and sense danger. If they lose their antennae, they can’t get any information and they can’t find their way back home.
Places where most sugar ants are found
Except Antarctica sugar ants can be found everywhere in the world. Sugar ants are mostly found near humans, like in houses, restaurants, hospitals, apartments, etc.
The sugar ants prefer warmth, they are usually found in warm places and they build their anthills on heating pipes or in cracks or under plaster.
Sugar ants can also be found in old books, outlets or a heap of clothes, or near the food.
How dangerous sugar ant bites are?
The sugar ants are famous for their aggressive bites. These bites are not extremely painful and also don’t produce any symptoms except if the person is highly allergic.
Sugar ants can be harmful to those people who are allergic to them. They are also not good for the toddlers and the kids in the house.
How to get rid of sugar ants naturally in house
Natural remedies are the best way to get rid of sugar ants. Here are the following natural home remedies.
1. Use of vinegar solution
- Mix vinegar with water and pour it into a spray bottle.
- Vinegar contains acetic acid which acts as a cleanser against pests.
- Whenever you find the entrance path of these ants sprinkle it on their expected path or the place you don’t want them to be.
- Wipe up the dead ants with a tissue or paper towel and discard them.
- To get more effective results, spray it in the morning or late afternoons.
2. Placing of used coffee grounds
Ants dislike the acidity and the smell of coffee. Spread the used coffee in the area where you find ants. You can also spread the used coffee on the possible entrance for ants.
Pepper has a small smell that makes sugar ants move away as it is unbearable for them. But it would be difficult to use a lot of paper so it’s better to mix it with essential oils and make a solution and add it to spray. Then use this spray near the ant pavements to get rid of them.
4. Cucumber peels
Sugar ants dislike the smell of Cucumbers. You can place the cucumber peels near the ant pavements. Make sure that the cucumber peels are moist; otherwise, there won’t be any smell.
5. Lay out bay leaves and whole cloves
Sugar ants repel faster with the strong small produced by cloves and bay leaves. Place the bay leaves and cloves under the table to get rid of the ants.
6. Hang garlic in your storeroom
Just like the bay leaves and cloves, garlic too has a strong smell that annoys ants. Tie a bunch of garlic on a rope and hang them on the door.
7. Boiling water
Boiled water is the easiest way to get rid of sugar ants. Just make sure that there is no electrical appliance or any such thing which may get damaged because of the remedy. This method is most useful outside the house.
8. Homemade insect repellent
Mix water with a few drops of lavender essential oil and pour it into a spray bottle. Spray it in your kitchen area or other areas where you may find ants.
9. Homemade ant trap
Place some honey or corn syrup on a plate or a plastic board. The ants will get attracted to the honey and will get trapped in it. Once the ants are trapped, throw away the plate.
Tips to get rid of sugar ants fast
Keep the place clean
It’s better to keep the place clean to avoid any ant infestation, for example, doing your dishes at right time, vacuuming the carpets daily, etc.
Use sealed containers
Store the food in sealed or airtight containers to avoid any ants in the food.
Ensure that there are no cracks in your home
Use any home remedy or any chemical treatment if a crack is found on the walls of your home.
Tips on how to get rid of sugar ants in the kitchen
If you find sugar ants in your kitchen, it’s probably because of the sweet food. To prevent this, one needs to keep the kitchen clean and dry.
Clean the places like kitchen slabs and oven tops, also, don’t let the rotten food stay there for a long time, as it may attract the ants.
You can also clean the floor with vinegar solution to get rid of ant trails. If you still observe ants then you need to treat it with some remedy or any ant killer.
Tips on how to get rid of sugar ants in the bedroom
Don’t bring any food items in your bedroom. If there won’t be any food or moisture in your room so sugar ants won’t invade in there.
Just to make sure that there are no sugar ants in the bedroom, seal the pavement and use essential oils.
Tips on how to get rid of sugar ants in car
- Move your car – Don’t park your car under a tree or next to an anthill as ants can make their way to your car.
- Remove trash from your car – Keep a regular check, if there’s any kind of waste in the car. If it’s there then get rid of it.
- Vacuum thoroughly – It’s important that you vacuum your car once in a week or when required to prevent ants. Once you remove the wrappers and other waste it’s good if you vacuum thoroughly.
- Clean the tires – The first entrance of your car is through the tires, so cleaning the tires prevents ants.
- Use ant traps – If the prevention didn’t work you should use ant traps under the seats to get rid of them.
Tips on how to get rid of sugar ants in the bathroom
- Make sure you get rid of all the possible moisture from the bathroom.
- Block the areas where ants can use as there entrance to the bathroom.
- You can also use essential oils like tea tree oil and lavender oil which will help you to get rid of the ants.