How to Get rid of Grubs | 7 Best Lawn Grub Killers & Insecticides
It is not necessary to eradicate grubs as a healthy lawn can withstand six grubs per square foot. However, if you suspect any possible grub infestation, that is, more than ten grubs per square foot, you can remove them with the help of the various Grub Repellents that are:
- Spray: Sprays destroy pests as soon as they come in contact with it. You can apply them with the help of a trigger spray, or reduce and tie them to a garden hose and apply to wide swatches of your lawn.
- Granules: Granules come in granule form that can be applied to surfaces and you just need to spread the granules in your lawn. They come with specific lawn covering areas so make sure that you always check the area cover provided by the granules before buying them.
How to get rid of grubs
The following are some of the best Grub Killers and Insecticides available in the market:
- Bug Zapper-Electric Shock Mosquito Killer-Hanging Standing USB Insect Trap
- Biologic Scanmask Beneficial Nematodes
- Mosquito Magician Natural Mosquito Killer & Repellent
- Bayer Advanced 700280B Complete Insect Killer for Soil and Turf
- A.M. Leonard Milky Spore
- Gabriel Organics Milky Spore Lawn Spreader Mix
- Nema Globe 4003603 20 Million Beneficial Nematodes – Grub Buster & Sprayer
Top 7 Best Lawn Grub Killers and Insecticides
1. Bug Zapper-Electric Mosquito Killer-USB Insect Trap
These insect killer granules are efficient enough to kill around 100 different types insects such as grubs, ants etc., that damage your lawn and turn it thin and brown in color.
Bug Zapper-Electric Shock Mosquito Killer-Hanging Standing USB Insect Trap also act like a protective barrier to help you to get rid of grubs and other insects in any condition, and provide protection for at least three months over an area of 10,000 sq. ft.
- Shows quick results
- Can be used as an insect killer
- Effective against various pests
- Provides protection for three months
- Has a large coverage area
- Can be used in any weather
- Acts like a protective barrier against bugs
How to Use: This insect trap comes in a ready to use form as you have to place them at suitable distance. They are best suited for use near foundation, porches, decks, etc.
2. Biologic Scanmask Beneficial Nematodes
The nematodes used in Scanmask Spray get rid of grubs and other pests by entering in their bodies and discharging a symbiotic bacterium that are efficient in killing pests.
BioLogic Scanmask Beneficial Nematodes is a natural repellent which makes it safe to use around pets and plants. The spray comes in an insulated box surrounded by ice and provides coverage of 2,000 sq. ft.
- Non-toxic way to get rid of pests
- Makes use of nematodes in natural form
- Safe to use around pets and plants
- Provides large coverage area of 2,000 sq. ft.
How to Use: You need to make a mixture of nematodes with water and pertain it in a sprayer or any watering can. Then you can spray it near the infected place any time as per your requirements.
The sprayer handle has a small nub of plastic that enables the switch to spray the water. Hence, that plastic piece needs to be removed or cut off in order for the spray to work well
3. Mosquito Magician Natural Mosquito Killer & Repellent
This mosquito magician repellent is made up of natural and safe ingredients including oils like Cedar, Lemongrass, Rosemary, and many more.
Mosquito Magician Natural Mosquito Killer & Repellent is very effective in getting rid of grubs, mosquitoes and other pests, also it is a safe repellent as it is lab-tested and can for use around children and animals. However, the spray remains effective for a period of two weeks only.
- Does not make use of any chemical
- Safe to use around children and animals
- Effective against mosquitoes as well
How to Use: You can apply it with a hose sprayer or use an automated sprinkle magician system. It can be used near outdoor lawns and the patio of pools.
4. Bayer Advanced 700280B Complete Insect Killer
This insecticide spray comes in a ready-to-use from and is highly effective against both ground and soil pests as it makes use of a two-way formula that shows results within 24 hours.
Bayer Advanced 700280B Complete Insect Killer can get rid of grubs, ants, fleas, and similar pests for at least three months as it assures 30 days of rainproof protection against ground insects.
- Comes in ready to use form
- Makes use of a two-way formula
- Effective against various pests
- Shows quick results
- Provides protection for a long period
How to Use: Before using the spray, you need to keep the following points in mind:
- Eliminate any animal feeding dishes
- Make sure that people and pets are away from the treated area until the spray has dried
5. A.M. Leonard Milky Spore
This grub killer product makes use of the naturally occurring bacterium that destroys lawn grubs, Japanese beetle, and June beetle before they can hatch and destroy your plants and lawns, as the pests are infected by the spores during feeding.
The specialty of A.M. Leonard Milky Spore is – When applied on pests; the pests die, decompose, and release billions of new spores in to the surface. It lasts for a long period, as long as 15-20 years, and is safe to use around children, animals, and birds.
- Makes use of natural bacterium
- Safe to use around pets, humans, and birds
- Can be used in wells, ponds, or streams
- Lasts for a long period
- Effective against beetles as well
How to Use: You just need to distribute the spores on the ground and let them do the work. It can be used in flower gardens, landscape, turf, and vegetable gardens as every 10 oz provides a coverage of around 2,500 sq. ft.
6. Gabriel Organics Milky Spore Lawn Spreader Mix
Gabriel Organics Milky Spore Lawn Spreader Mix attacks the larvae of grubs and prevents them from growing, thus protect plants in your lawn from grubs causing severe damage to them. It is safe to use around children, animals, and birds.
- Shows quick results
- Prevents grubs from multiplying
- Safe to use around humans, animals, and birds
How to Use: You can apply it with the help of spreader mix anytime between the spring season and the fall as every 20 lb of product provides a coverage of around 7,000 sq. ft.
7. Nema Globe 4003603 20 Million Beneficial Nematodes – Grub Buster & Sprayer
This grub killer is a reliable organic control for grubs, fleas, and soil larval insects/pests in lawn and gardens as it makes use of nematode (steinernemaglaseri) that is highly beneficial in removing mature spring grubs.
The nematodes actively seek out grubs in the surface or soil, and further reproduce to give you long-lasting natural pest control.
Nema Globe 4003603 20 Million Beneficial Nematodes also helps in recovering any secondary mole defect in the lawn and is safe to use around humans, birds, and animals.
- Organic as it uses nematodes
- Effectively removes spring grubs and beetles
- Recovers mole defect as well
- Safe to use around people, animals, and birds
How to Use: You can use the sprayer by opening the package, pouring the powder and water in to your watering can or hose-end sprayer, and then spraying it at the infested places.
Buyer’s Guide to Select the Best Lawn Grub Killer
There are many insecticides available in the market to just get rid of grubs without even actually killing them. Also, they are helpful against various other insects like ants, ticks, earwigs or others that may destroy your vegetable patches and lawns.
However, while choosing the grub killer or insecticide for your lawn, we recommend you to keep the following things in mind:
- Choose that grub killer that is right for your lawn
- See beneficial tips about the specific type of grub killer
- Read reviews of multiple grub killers, and what the buyers have to say about it
- Choose the right brand of grub killer
- Compare prices so that you grab the best deal for yourself
Apart from this, you should also consider some of the important factors mentioned below:
1. It should not be harmful to other beneficial creatures:
Some of these products may cause harm to the health of other creatures like bees, or may not be safe to use around your pets.
So, if you’re having any pet at home, make sure you read the label carefully and buy an animal-friendly grub killer so that you can use it around your pets with ease.
Also, it’s important to see other related factors like if it is safe to use in ponds or not or other factors relating to your lawn conditions. So that you can make a good choice for yourself.
2. Checking if watering of soil is required:
Some products don’t instruct watering the soil for that grub killing treatment. But if any company instructs to water the soil make sure you don’t water the soil excessively and keep the type of soil and its condition in mind.
Grubs have the potential to cause severe damage to your plants and lawns making it important to get rid of them as soon as possible. There are various products available in the market to get rid of grubs, in the form of sprays, spores, and granules.
However, it is suggested that you opt for natural ways to get rid of grubs, especially by using nematodes, as they won’t cause any harm to the plants present in your lawn.