According to the San Diego Zoo, there are over 4675 species of lizard in this world. Other references explain that there are about 6,000 species. There are lizards with four legs, some with two legs and some with no legs at all; lizards with frills, wings or horns, and lizards in almost every color imaginable.
What do Lizards eat?
- Most of the lizards are carnivores, which imply they eat meat.
- A normal diet for a lizard includes spiders, ants, termites, cicadas, small mammals, and even other lizards.
- Caiman lizards consume animals with shells, such as snails.
- Other lizards are omnivores, which means they consume vegetation and meat.
- One instance of an omnivore lizard is Clark’s spiny lizard.
- These lizards like leaves, fruits, and vegetables.
- Some lizards are herbivores and consume only plants.
- The marine iguana, which resides in the Galapagos Islands, consumes algae from the sea.
- Iguanas and spiny-tailed agamids also consume plants.
Types of Lizards
1. Southern alligator lizards
LIFE SPAN: 10-15 YRS
LENGTH: UP TO 30 CM
Southern alligator lizards are not used to the Pacific coast of North America. They have a thick body with small legs and a long tail that can be double as long as the body. Like many lizards, this species can drop its tail if assaulted. The color of Southern alligator lizards is variable and can be gray, brown, green, or yellow, often with red blotches in the middle of the back. Usually, there are between nine and thirteen dark crossbands on the back, sides, and tail, with adjacent white spots. These crossbands can be pronounced or covered with a yellow or red color. The scales of Southern alligator lizards are keeled on the sides, back, and legs. There is a band of tinier granular scales that separates the larger scales on the stomach and back, creating a fold along each side of the animal. These folds enable the body to expand to hold food or eggs.
What do they eat?
Southern alligator lizards are carnivores and dine small slugs, arthropods, lizards, snails, small mammals, and sometimes young birds and eggs.
2. The Texas Horned Lizard
LIFE SPAN: 7 YRS
WEIGHT: 25-90 G
LENGTH: 69-114 MM
The Texas horned lizard is a harmless spiny-bodied reptile known as a horned lizard. It is the largest and most widely distributed of the fourteen (14) species of horned lizards in Mexico and the western United States. They are red, gray, or brown in color, usually with dark markings that assist them to blend into their environment. There are also 2-3 dark lines radiating from each eye and across the top of the head which differentiates this species from all other horned lizards. Their belly is white or cream in color.
What do they eat?
Texas horned lizards are carnivores. Most of their food is made up of Harvester ants, though they supplement these with beetles, termites, and grasshoppers.
3. The Western Fence Lizard
LIFE SPAN: 5-7 YRS
LENGTH: 21 CM
The Western fence lizard is a very common lizard found in northwestern Mexico and the western United States. It is brown to black in color (the brown may be greenish or sandy) and has black stripes on its back, but its most distinguishing characteristic is its glossy blue belly. The ventral sides of the limbs are yellow. These lizards also have patches of blue color on their throats. This bright coloration is absent or faint in both females and juveniles. In some populations, the males also have iridescent, bright turquoise blue spots on the dorsal surface.
What do they eat?
Western fence lizards are carnivores in nature. They eat insects and spiders such as mosquitoes, beetles, and various types of grasshoppers.
4. Eastern Fence Lizards
LIFE SPAN: 4-5 YRS
WEIGHT: 15 G
LENGTH: 10-19 CM
Eastern fence lizards are medium-sized reptiles found in the eastern United States. They in shades of brown or gray, and have keeled scales, with a dark line running with the rear of the thigh. Females are usually gray and have a sequel of dark, wavy lines across their backs. The stomach is white with black flecks, with some pale blue on the throat and stomach. Males are usually brown, and during the summer, they have a further greenish-blue and black coloration on the sides of the stomach and throat than females. The young look like females but are darker and duller.
What do they eat?
Eastern fence lizards are carnivores; their diet consists of beetles, ants,
moths, spiders, grasshoppers, ladybugs, and stink bugs.
5. Green Anoles
Green anoles or the Carolina anole is a lizard varying from small to a medium-size reptile. Their bodies are slender. They are specified because of their sharp characteristics including a long pointed head. In between the tiny eyes and the nostrils lies a ridged area. The lizards need to climb hence nature has added sticky pads under their toes that keep them fixed to the walls and heights while climbing. Their unique quality is sexual dimorphism. A throat fan named dewlap is also a distinguishing characteristic to recognize them. In male’s lizards, it is red, but in females, it is white in color. In grown-up lizards, the total length with the tail is 12.5–20.3 cm. The normal weight is 3–7 g.
12 Best natural lizard repellents
If you or any of your family members are scared of the lizard, then don’t here are some simple and easy hacks that can be used as lizard repellent to get rid of Lizards.
1. Coffee method
- One of the very useful and simple methods is mixing the tobacco with the coffee powder. They are the DIY lizard killing balls.
- Finely mix the coffee powder and tobacco entirely and make the balls out of these.
- Place these balls at the corners of the home or the areas from which lizards may enter your house.
- As a result, the lizards may get out of the house.
2. Use of naphthalene balls
- Naphthalene balls are also one of the lizard repellent products.
- Put the naphthalene balls in your cupboards, wardrobe, in the corners of the house, the entrance of the house, and in the kitchen sinks or bathroom.
- Please note that instead of naphthalene balls, mothballs can also be used.
3. Peacock feathers
- This is one of the easiest ways to make the lizards stay away from your home.
- You just need to place the peacock feathers in the areas of your home where the lizards are seen most constantly or the entrance of your house.
- This remedy is useful because the peacocks eat the lizards, the peacock feathers may frighten the lizards and make them stay away from the home
4. DIY pepper spray
- Lizards are allergic to pepper.
- Therefore the DIY pepper spray may annoy them and make them stay away from the place. This remedy is easy.
- Mix some crushed black pepper with water and spray the solution all over the house, in the lizards’ hiding spots, and mainly on the ceilings and walls.
5. Ice cold water
Coldwater makes the lizard immobile and makes them stiff for a bit. They are not able to run for a few minutes. Meanwhile, you can catch it and throw it away.
6. Using flypapers
- Flypapers are widely known because they can catch the flies.
- Using the flypapers to capture a lizard is also a very useful method.
- Place the flypapers on the tube light corners and entrance places of the lizard.
- It makes the lizard stick to the paper, and then you can throw out the paper with the lizard.
7. Tabasco sauce spray
- Like the lizards get irritated by the pepper; they also hate the smell of Tabasco sauce.
- Mix two teaspoons of Tabasco sauce in the water and fill the spray bottle.
- Take the bottle and sprinkle it all over the spots where the lizards are frequently found or on the walls and ceiling.
- This will make the lizards stay out of your home.
- Lizards cannot tolerate the smell of onion. They get irritated with it.
- Cutting the pieces of onion and placing them in the places where there is a possibility of lizard’s entrance and on windows and doors will keep the lizards away.
- Onion contains Sulfur which produces the terrible smell and will make the lizards go away.
- You can also mix some onion juice with water and sprinkle it all over.
9. Using eggshells
Odors of eggshells will make the lizards assume that another organism may be existing in the area and will make them leave the area. Place the eggshells in the corner of your house, on doors and windows.
10. Use of phenyl tablets
Keeping the phenyl tablets in the hiding spots of the lizards and the corners of the home will also make the lizards staying off the home.
- Garlic has the powerful pungent smell which the lizards dislike and cannot stand.
- Placing some garlic cloves in the entrance areas or where lizards are live is also helpful against the lizards.
- Instead, garlic juice mixed with water can also be sprinkled to make the lizards run away.
12. Using a cardboard box
Trapping the lizards in the cardboard box is another excellent way to keep off from the lizards.
Frequently asked Questions
1. How to find a lizard?
- Close the room where you last glimpsed the lizard.
- Shut the doors and windows, so that it cannot run out.
- You may even need to place towels or cardboard under the gap of the door to stop it from leaving.
- Check dark, enclosed spaces to detect if the lizard is hiding there. Lizards often like to hang out in small or covered rooms.
- Check under any desks, couches, chairs, bookshelves, or tables in the room.
- Cupboards, vents, baseboards, pillows, and potted plants are also common spots for lizards to hide.
- You may want to use a flashlight to see into dark areas.
- Lizards often like disguising behind hanging articles, such as frames, on the wall.
- Keep pets in the other room.
- If your pets are in the room, the lizard will possibly hide.
- Keep your dog or cat in another room until you have captured the lizard.
- Alternatively, if you have a cat, you can bring your cat to catch the lizard.
- Keep in mind that the cat will perhaps kill the lizard, so this may only be an alternative if the lizard is wild.
- Turn off all of the lights.
- The lizard may appear out of its hiding space if it believes it is dark outside.
- Close the curtains to block out the sun.
- You can make use of a flashlight to see.
- Usually, the lizard can appear within half an hour.
- Wait until it appears.
- The lizard will only come out when it feels comfortable. If you can’t find the lizard, make your lizard catch equipment. Keep them handy until it does arrive.
- If you can’t discover a wild lizard in your home, it may be simpler to repel it using eggshells, mothballs, and other common household materials than it will be easy to catch it.
2. How to catch the lizard and make a lizard trap?
- Get a container to catch the lizard in.
- Most house lizards are only about 2–3 inches (5.1–7.6 cm) in height.
- Old food compartments, such as empty margarine containers or big yogurt containers, may be suitable for catching one.
- Reach to the lizard slowly.
- If you scare the lizard out, it will possibly run back into its hiding place. Rather, walk towards the lizard very slowly.
- If the lizard begins to move, stop and stay still for a second until it settles down.
- Chase the lizard into the container.
- If the lizard is on the wall, use a newspaper or piece of paper to persuade it towards the box.
- If it’s on the floor, use a broom. In most situations, the lizard will run into the container, as it will feel that the container is safe.
- Try not to touch the lizard with the item.
- Move it towards the lizard to stimulate it to run towards the box, but avoid knocking the lizard.
- Do not use your hand to catch or chase the lizard. This could result in the lizard’s tail to fall off. The lizard might even bite you.
- Sprinkle the lizard with cold water if it keeps running away.
- If the lizard won’t run into the box, try sprinkling or flicking cold water on it.
- This can affect the lizard to slow down or even freeze for a moment or two.
- You can then put the box over it.
- Slip a piece of paper under the box.
- Once the lizard is in the box, you can trap it.
- Slide the paper over the door of the container until it is fully covered. Keep it there until you either vacate the lizard outside or return it to its cage.
3. How to tell if a lizard is male or female?
Males are more swollen at the base of the tail incomparable to females and have a pair of enlarged scales near their vent (cloaca). Juveniles and females have some color, but not nearly as bright. Even if you can’t get a look at the lizard’s stomach, there are also behavior clues that help disclose the gender.
4. How long can a lizard live without food?
Bigger lizards are also able to survive the scarcity of food because their large size means they have more fat deposits. Better fat deposits in the system mean the body has a decent source of energy for the metabolic processes during the period of starvation.
Lizards are the reptiles that are found almost in every house. There are several home remedies from electronic repellent to natural repellents to kill the lizard or make them keep away from your house. Utilizing natural insect-killing balls that are made up of tobacco and coffee can kill or make lizards keep away from your house. Coldwater and other natural remedies are also available. Using naphthalene balls, garlic, onion, eggshell, pepper spray, and Tabasco sauce can prevent the lizards from entering your house. Now it all relies on you what method you like to keep the lizards away from your house.