Even though we have already had a look at the best repellents available to get rid of woodpeckers and protect our home from them, it is always good to have some information on the topic whose solution is to be found, which woodpeckers are in this case.
Having more information about woodpeckers and understanding their manner, traits and food habits can surely help a person to choose a better repellent as well as even use home-made natural remedies to get rid of woodpeckers, thus solving their problem.
What is a Woodpecker?
- Woodpeckers are small to medium-sized birds that are a part of the Picidae family, and are found in most parts of the world excluding Australia, New Zealand, Madagascar, New Guinea, and some extreme polar regions. Woodpeckers can be found in the entire USA and more than 20 species of woodpeckers are found there.
- Most often they are found in the forests or wooden plantations, but often shift to localities thus destroying the mental peace of the people in the in the same regions.
What Does a Woodpecker Look Like?
- Woodpeckers are similar to other birds and can range between 7 cm size to to 50 cm in size and weight is between 200 to 500 grams.
- They do not possess any major or extreme difference between the 2 genders except the orange-backed woodpecker. They also possess a 7-15 inch long tongue.
What is the Color of a Woodpecker?
- The color of various woodpecker species is either red or brown.
- Some woodpeckers are boldly patterned in black, white and red, and many have a crest or tufted feathers on the crown. But the most common plumage colors of most woodpeckers are black white, red and yellow.
- Bright color patches can occasionally be seen on the head, neck and back of some species and is mainly common in tropical woodpeckers, where their natural habitat consists of many bright flowers and plants.
What does a Woodpecker Eat?
- Trees are the source of livelihood for woodpeckers as they reside in the trees and feed on insects and their larvae living in the core and trunk of the tree.
- Woodpeckers generally prefer coniferous trees, cedar and mahogany especially if the woods of these trees retain their properties.
- Thus, woodpeckers are often found in houses of people, where they peck the household trees, wooden ceilings, other wooden materials as well as materials like mounting foam which resemble old bark and moss, to build their nests as well as to prey on the insects thriving there.
Best Natural Woodpecker Repellent
Natural Woodpecker Repellents involve homemade repellents that are successful in helping with getting rid of woodpeckers. The Best natural repellents are:
Hanging Aluminum foils Or Colorful Flags
- Woodpeckers are often disturbed due to bright light being reflected upon them, which prevents them from pecking on such surfaces.
- Therefore aluminum foils due to their superior reflecting properties can be easily used as a woodpecker repellent as a substitute to market products like BlueStraw Bird Scare Tape and Bird-X Blinder Repellent Wind Scare Rods. In the absence of aluminum foils even colorful and reflecting multi-colored flags can even be used to get rid of woodpeckers.
- This natural repellent is economical as well as useful and further does not possess any side-effect. Hence it is the best Natural repellent.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to stop a woodpecker?
The methods to stop a woodpecker from visiting and pecking your house are:
- Scaring them away with the help of repellents producing strong visual effects, or resembling and producing sounds like their predators.
- Obstructing them from being able to peck at the woods in your house by either fencing them or using woodpecker repellent gels.
2. Why is a woodpecker pecking at my house?
Woodpeckers are birds that depend on trees for their livelihood. Hence if a woodpecker is pecking at your house, it must be pecking on some wooden object, tree or some object resembling wooden barks either in an attempt to build its nest or to find insects and larvae on the woods for their food.
3. How to keep a woodpecker away?
A woodpecker can be kept away by either scaring it by reflecting strong light or producing sounds. Putting up balloons resembling their predators like owls or hawks can also scare them away. Hence if this fear is given to the woodpeckers for some consecutive days, then they will always stay away from your house as they will assume their predators to be permanent residents of your house.
4. How to prevent woodpecker damage?
Again, the best method to prevent woodpeckers from damaging your trees and wooden objects is by keeping them away from your home using the above-mentioned methods. Also if those methods don’t work then you can use protective measures like woodpecker repellent gels and spiked nets to prevent woodpeckers from damaging your property.
5. How to fill woodpecker holes in the house?
To repair and fill the holes in the wooden slidings and other wooden objects of the house, one must follow the following steps –
- Apply lightweight structural adhesive epoxy putty lequally over the holes so that it sinks in.
- Scrap off the excess epoxy before it dries.
- Sand the epoxy across the wood’s surface so it blends in with the wood with light grade sandpaper, and apply stain or paint after sanding so that it seems like new without having any signs of damage left.
To repair the woodpecker holes in the trees at house, one can follow these steps –
- Before repairing the tree, one should check to see if there is any bug infestation. If there is, one should identify the bug; use a suitable repellent to get rid of it.
- After this, one should clean the tree with liquid dish soap and water wherever the holes are on the tree.
- Then the area around the hole can be covered with duct tape to protect it, and the open-air should be allowed to heal the damage by the natural process of cell growth of the tree.
The above article provides detailed information about woodpeckers, their traits, food habits and also the damage caused by woodpeckers to households, which is especially in the United States.
Lastly, it also contains answers to some of the most frequently answered questions regarding woodpeckers. Hence the information provided in the above article is extremely beneficial for people who wish to know about woodpeckers or anyone who wishes to prevent their house from the damage caused by the woodpeckers and thus is a must-read before deciding to purchase a particular woodpecker repellent.