Fruit Flies are also known as Vinegar Flies as they are attracted to ripened fruits and vegetables present in the kitchen. Apart from the kitchen, they breed in garbage disposals, drains, mops, cleaning rags, and other dirty places as they just need a moist layer of fermenting material for development.
Since Fruit Flies breed in unhygienic places, they can transfer various germs and bacteria that are known to cause severe food poisoning, such as Salmonella, Listeria, and E. Coli, in to clean places and your food.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to get rid of Fruit Flies?
- 2 List of Top 10 Fruit Fly Traps to get rid of Fruit Flies
- 3 Top 10 Best Fruit Fly Traps : Review & Usage Instructions
- 3.1 1. TERRO Fruit Fly Trap T2502
- 3.2 2. Natural Catch Fruit Fly Traps
- 3.3 3. Eon Luxe Solutions Fruit Fly Trap
- 3.4 4. RESCUE! Indoor Non-Toxic Reusable Fruit Fly Trap with Liquid Attractant
- 3.5 5. BEAPCO 10036 Prefilled Fruit Fly Traps
- 3.6 6. Green Gobbler Fruit Fly Goodbye Gel Drain Treatment
- 3.7 7. RSVP Endurance Fruit Fly Trap
- 3.8 8. Plow & Hearth Flower Fruit Fly pest Trap
- 3.9 9. BioCare Decorative Glass Insect Trap
- 3.10 10. Catchmaster All Natural Fruit Fly Trap – Pre-Filled
- 4 Buyer’s Guide to select the Best Fruit Fly Trap
How to get rid of Fruit Flies?
You can get rid of Fruit Flies with the help of the different types of Fruit Fly Traps available in the market:
1. Sticky Fruit Fly Traps
There are few Sticky Fruit Fly Traps available in the market but they are most effective when used in flowerpots as the insect crawl around and get stuck in the tapes.
2. Liquid Lure Fruit Fly Traps
Liquid Lure Traps make use of vinegar of other food-based entice to get rid of fruit flies. They are attractive and work effectively against other flies and insects as well.
3. Electric Fruit Fly Traps
Electric Traps are ultraviolet tools that eradicate all flying insects and various microbes. They are designed with an adhesive sheet inside them which is meant to accumulate the microbes that are in the area.
List of Top 10 Fruit Fly Traps to get rid of Fruit Flies
- TERRO Fruit Fly Trap T2502
- Natural Catch Fruit Fly Traps
- Eon Luxe Solutions Fruit Fly Trap
- RESCUE! Indoor Non-Toxic Reusable Fruit Fly Trap with Liquid Attractant
- BEAPCO 10036 Prefilled Fruit Fly Traps
- Green Gobbler Fruit Fly Goodbye Gel Drain Treatment
- RSVP Endurance Fruit Fly Trap
- Plow & Hearth Flower Fruit Fly pest Trap, 3.5 Dia. x 5.5 H
- BioCare Decorative Glass Insect Trap
- Catchmaster All Natural Fruit Fly Trap – Pre-Filled
Top 10 Best Fruit Fly Traps : Review & Usage Instructions
Terro Fruit Fly Trap is a fast-reacting, non-toxic, and ready to use trap. It is an apple-shaped trap that is effective enough to trap the fruit fly when kept near the breeding area.
However, you need to add the bait inside the trap on your own. Once fruit flies enter the trap, they are not able to escape or breed and multiply.
How to Use: The trap is easy to use as you just have to fill the trap with bait in the form of the lure, vinegar, and a little bit of coke or any drink with sugar. However, you need to refill the trap after every 30 days.
Natural Catch Fruit Fly Traps is an easy solution to get rid of fruit flies with a no-mess or no-fuss method of trapping. No use of pesticide or poison, this fruit fly trap only contains vinegar-based and related natural attractant to entice the fruit flies.
How to Use: Natural Catch Fruit Fly Trap comes with a lollipop stick. You just need to punch the holes with these sticks, not bigger but big enough so that the fruit flies can enter but can’t escape. Change them once a month and put them near the vegetables or fruits for an effective result.
Eon Luxe Solutions is a non-toxic, odorless fruit fly trap that works by following three different steps:
- Ultraviolet light attracts the fruit fly
- Fan captures the fruit fly
- The Glue Board traps the fruit fly and does not let it escape.
The Glue Pads last for around six months in the winter season, but only three to four months in the summer season.
How to Use Eon Luxe Solutions Fruit Fly Trap:
You need to carefully remove the protective layer as it is very sticky. After removing it, place the trap near your kitchen counter, indoor plants, and fish tank to see effective results.
Eon Luxe Solutions Fruit Fly Trap works in the following way:
- When the fruit flies see the Ultraviolet rays, they get attracted to it and lure in its direction.
The UV light work within the range of 320 sq. ft. and they are much more effective in a dark room or place.
- The vacuum fan gathers the fruit flies and puts them into a removable retention cage.
- Once gathered they are prevented by going outside through the whisper-quiet fan, leading them onto the non-sticky glue pad.
The RESCUE Fruit Fly Trap makes use of a non-toxic, food-based attractant to attract the flies with its colour and scent.
This fruit fly trap can be used safely inside your home, near the kitchen, food, and vegetables as the advanced no-tip design helps in preventing icky spills.
How to Use: You just need to add the liquid attractant in to the trap and it will start catching the fruit flies within minutes. Empty the trap when it gets completely filled with the fruit flies.
This fruit fly trap makes use of a non-toxic solution to attract fruit flies and gnats to their doom.
BEAPCO 10036 Prefilled Fruit Fly Traps can be used for up to 30 days and can be thrown directly in to the garbage can after use. It is suggested to use multiple traps at the same time to maximize the area range of the fruit fly traps.
How to Use: You just need to poke holes in to the trap and place it near the place infested by fruit flies. The fruit flies will get attracted and get caught in the trap as soon as you finish poking the holes. You can throw it in to the recycling bin once used completely.
The gel drain treatment makes use of Citronella, which is a natural bug repellent. It is a non-corrosive and non-caustic way to get rid of the fruit flies and drain flies.
How to Use: You just need to apply around 1 Cup (8 ounces) of the gel in to the drain, preferably during the time of minor usage.
Make sure that you apply the formula to every side of the drain letting the gel cling to pipe walls. Repeat it on a regular basis until you notice all fruit flies disappear.
This fruit fly trap is made up of stainless steel and durable ceramic that keeps the fruit flying away. It is 2.5 inches in height and 3.25 inches in diameter.
BEAPCO 10036 Prefilled Fruit Fly Traps is so effective that it is popularly known as ‘The art of gathering’ that will efficiently collect all the fruit flies.
How to Use: The fruit flies get attracted to the stainless steel top as you just need to fill the trap with an apple cider vinegar mixture. To see more effective results, place the trap on the top of the kitchen counter, near fruits and vegetables. Empty the trap once full and repeat the same.
The Plow and Hearth Flower Fruit Fly Trap is a multi-color flower glass with a removable top. It is quite economical and environmental-friendly as it does not make use of any chemical or plastic, and can be reused by cleaning the insides of the trap. However, the bait or the lure is not included and is sold separately.
How to Use: You just need to fill the bottom of the trap with the lure and mix it. The fruit flies start getting in to the trap through the bottom and are not able to find the way out, resulting in them getting tapped. You can reuse the trap by cleaning it after every use.
BioCare Decorative Glass Trap is large in size as it comes with a hanger and wooden stopper. It is colorful, reusable, and the color finishing is baked in order to prevent it from fading. It is an attractive and effective way to get rid of fruit flies from home or yard.
How to Use: You just need to add the bait along with two drops of any non-citrus dish soap in the trap to smash the surface tension. The fruit flies get attracted to the bait and will be suppressed by the colorful glass. You can use it again by washing it as it has a long-lasting color finish that won’t fade.
This is an attractive, natural, and multi-colored fruit fly trap, especially designed for use in the kitchen and around children, pets, and food items.
Catchmaster All Natural Fruit Fly Trap is a low maintenance trap which does not make use of any toxic substance or create any mess. It is highly effective as fruit flies can’t escape once trapped.
How to Use: You just need to poke holes in to the traps with the sticks provided. The fruit fly will get attracted and caught in the trap. Is it suggested to place the trap near the fruit bowl for effective results.
Buyer’s Guide to select the Best Fruit Fly Trap
Before buying any trap to get rid of fruit flies, you should consider the following points and check if it is suitable for your use:
- Color: Fruit flies get attracted to color and scents of fruits. Hence, the color of the trap should be attractive, long-lasting, and durable. If the color of the trap fades early, then there is no use as the fruit fly will not get attracted to it.
- Additional Bait: Since most of the traps require additional bait, check if the bait is available with the trap or you need to use your own homemade bait. Some companies provide their own bait which needs to be bought separately.
- Stick along with Trap: If the trap requires you to poke some holes in to it so that the fruit flies can enter but can’t escape, check if there is a stick included with the trap so that you can poke the holes easily, without any hurdle.
- Check user feedback: By reading reviews you will get to know the efficiency and important functions of that product.
Fruit Flies don’t cause harm to humans but can infest your food and kitchen, so it is important to get rid of them soon. There are various types of traps available in the work in the market that lure the fruit flies in to themselves through the smell of various fruits.
It is suggested to opt for non-toxic, environment-friendly fruit fly traps that can be used safely around children and other animals.