Sugar Ants are small ants ranging from 5 mm to 15 mm in size, that feed on sugar and sweet food. The male sugar ants are completely black, whereas, female sugar ants have a ‘banded’ appearance with orange colour bands in the middle.
They are native to Australia but are found all across the globe. They can survive outdoors in forest and woodland habitats as they make their colonies in the soil, between rocks around shrubs. They feed on sweet things such as nectar from plants and honeydew from aphids.
You are more likely to come across them in the early autumn and late spring season as the queen sugar ant lay eggs in autumns. They undergo complete metamorphosis and have monogynous colonies, i.e., there is only one queen ant in the whole colony.
How to Get rid of Sugar Ants?
Sugar ants cause no such harm to humans but their prevention is necessary as they can infest households in search of sweet food, and contaminate various food items.
The following are the 5 best sugar ant baits that are effective in killing ants
Top 5 Best Sugar Ant Baits
It is used to eliminate both – flying and crawling insects ranging from sugar ants, mosquitoes to cockroaches that are found indoors or outdoors.
Since it is a ‘contact’ pesticide, it does not cause any harm to insects unless they come in contact with it. It does not influence the color of the object on which it would be applied.
Effective Against: Ants, Mosquitoes, Cockroaches, Silverfish, Weevil, Spiders, etc.,
How to use:
- It has to be mixed with any water, or oil-based paint, sealant or strain before using it.
- You must use it within three hours of mixing with any water-based paint.
- You must use it within six hours of mixing with any oil-based paint.
Precautions: Don’t allow pets or children to go anywhere near the treated area until the paint is completely dry.
The product acts as bait for ants and damages their digestive system. The sugar ants get attracted to the product’s smell, and the borax in the liquid works at a slow pace so that the product is transferred to more ants as they interact.
Effective Against: Various types of Ants such as Sugar Anta, Carpenter, Pharaoh, Argentine, Cornfield, Pavement, White-footed, and Black ants.
How to use:
- Hold the product station vertically and twist the tab open.
- Place it on a flat surface near the infestation and leave it undisturbed as ants feed on it.
- Also, applying more quantity of the bait (the product) would result in better results.
It is a highly efficient product as it gives you maximum protection from ants’ infestation. It is formulated with insecticide and destroys the sugar ant colonies quickly. It does not release any odor as it does not mix with vapors.
Effective Against: Sugar Ants, Household baits
How to use: It is easy to use as one has to just place the product near the sugar ants’ colonies and wait one hour for the results. It works best when left overnight.
This repellent is an effective ant bait and helps you get rid of sugar ants within one hour or application. It is durable as it can last up to six months, and contains child-resist baits that can be used near ant trails.
It can be used both indoors and outdoors and can help to quickly eradicate ant colonies.
Effective Against: Sugar ants and grass-feeding Ants
How to use:
- Place one of the bait stations near the sugar ant trails.
- In case of severe ant infestation, place two bait stations.
- Keep replacing the bait every six months, or when there are more infestation and less bait.
The product provides ants with food in the form of bait which functions as an attraction and killer simultaneously. The ants feed on the bait, transfer it on to other ants which results in the eradication of the entire ant colony.
The product is durable as it can work up to three months and starts showing results within few days of use.
Effective Against: Different types of ants including Sugar ants
How to use: Place the bait near your closet, bathroom, kitchen, living area, or any other place where there is sugar ant infestation, and notice the result within days.
Buyer Guide to Select the Best Repellent to Get rid of Sugar Ants
Before buying any product to get rid of sugar ants, you should ask yourself the following questions and check if the product is suitable for you:
- Place of Usage : Check where can it be used? Indoors, outdoors, or both?
- Toxic : Does it make use of any chemical or toxic element?
- Quantity to be Used : How much application is required for the product to work effectively?
- Ingredients : Check what ingredients are used in the bait, are they natural or chemical etc.,
- Exclusive for Ants or General Repellent : Is the product effective against other bugs and insects?
- Safety : Is it safe to use around children and animals?
- Convenience : Does the product produce any unnecessary sound or odor?
Sugar ants, as the name suggests, are ants that feed on sugary and sweet products. Therefore, the best way to get rid of them is by using products that serve as bait for them.