How to Get rid of Deer Flies | Top 5 Best Deer Fly Repellents & Buyer Guide
Deer Flies are larger than common houseflies and smaller than horseflies. They have brightly coloured eyes, large transparent wings with dark bands on them. There are around 250 species of deer fly and they are considered dangerous for both humans and animals.
How Harmful Deer Flies are?
Deer flies are dangerous pests as the female species feed on the blood of deer, cows, horses, and other vertebrate mammals as they need protein to lay eggs.
Their bites are severe as they trigger an allergic reaction and disseminate a variety of diseases and bacteria to animals and humans including tularemia.
How to get rid of Deer Flies?
The most noticeable sign of a deer fly infestation is the severe and painful biting induced by the adult female flies and its symptoms.
The following are the 5 Best Repellents to get rid of Deer Flies:
Top 5 Deer Fly Repellents to Get rid of Deer Flies
1. Bug Ball Replacement Ball-Insect Killer
The product is specially designed for heavy-duty weather with black PVC to trap the different types of flies. Bug ball comes with a tangle-trap sticky coating which is fragrance-free.
You just need 2 to 3 Bug Balls to cover an area of one acre. It is an environmental-friendly product as it doesn’t require any electricity or pesticides, and is safe to use around children and pets.
The product works in numerous types of areas including Greenhouses, Pool areas, Back Yards, Lawns, Animal shelters, Barns, Orchards, Pastures, Around Fire Pits, Docks, Lakefronts, Cabins, Porch areas, Golf courses, etc.
Effective Against: Different types of flies such as Deer flies, Horse flies, Yellow flies, Green-head flies, etc.
How to use: You can use the product by following the steps mentioned below:
- Extend the Bug Ball until firm, approximately 18 inches.
- Hang the Bug Ball in a fence, pole, or tree from a shepherd hook 4 ft. to 5 ft. off the surface.
- Apply the Tangle-Trap Liquid all over the Bug Ball body, which is sold separately.
2. Tangle-Trap Sticky Coating
It is a ready-to-use product that is used to re-coat existing traps or builds custom traps. The product stays sticky until covered with deer flies, pests, or any other foreign matter, and helps you in protecting your garden, orchards, greenhouses, yards, and fields.
How to use: Before using the product, read the instructions on the product’s label and then follow the steps mentioned below:
- Before using, you will require to stir the product with the brush applicator.
- Apply a thin coat of the product on your trap surface.
Trap surfaces can be prepared with waxed cardboard, wood, glass, plastic cups, or other non-porous surfaces.
- Tie your trap to a stake so that it stays away from children and animals.
3. Deerfly Patches
It is a non-chemical, odorless, and disposable product. It is a sticky patch that can be placed on the back of your hat or cap to trap deer flies buzzing around you and lasts up to three days. It is commonly used by gardeners, hikers, fishermen, campers, bikers, runners, canoeists, horseback riders, etc.
How to use: They are ready-to-use patches and you have just pasted them on any surface and peel of their cover.
4. RESCUE! Deck & Patio Fly TrapStik
It is an odorless, non-chemical product that naturally attracts the different types of flies through its alluring colors and a multi-dimensional pattern.
Once enticed, they get stuck to the adhesive surface and blend in with the colorful pattern, making it discreet. The product was redesigned with bird guards to deliver protection for bats, birds, and other small animals.
Effective Against: Different types of flies such as Deer flies, Black flies, Stable flies, Green-head flies, etc.
How to use: You just need to hang the trap stick outside your home. You can buy hanging hooks to hang it, or else hang it on a tree, pole, or any other place where there is more deer fly infestation, by making a hole.
5. Victor Fly Magnet Trap
This product attracts flies in to the trap with the help of a non – poisonous bait, making the product safe for use around children and animals.
The bait effectively plays on flies’ tendencies to draw them into the trap which does not let them escape. The product is built in such a way that it lasts for a long period and provided optimum control against flies. You can also re-use the trap by filling it with new bait.
How to use: These traps are planned for outdoor use. Therefore, you should place multiple traps around the perimeter of your house. After placing them 10 to 30 feet apart from each other, wait for 24 hrs. so that the bait activates itself.
You can use the product by following the steps mentioned below:
- Open the trap and pour it in to the bait bag.
- Add water to the fill line and mix the contents.
- Hang the bait bag almost 18 inches from the ground in a warm sunny area.
- Keep bait moist by regularly adding water so that the flies stay submerged.
- Once the trap is full, dispose of the contents.
- Wash the trap, re-fill with bait, and use it again.
Buyer Guider to Select the best Repellent to Get rid of Deer Flies
Before buying any product to get rid of deer flies, you should consider the following points and check is it is suitable for use:
- Make sure the product matches your purpose.
- Read the product details and its ingredients to check if it contains any poisonous element.
- Use the amount of product as mentioned in the instructions as the overuse of some products might cause harm to humans as well as animals.
- Don’t use the same product for other pests unless it is mentioned on the product label.
- Never buy an excess amount of insect repellants as storing them for a long period can lead to superfluous risks.
- Carefully read the disposal and storage column of the label for instructions on how the product should be stored and disposed of.
- Never peel off a pesticide label from the packet.
- Keep all pesticides out of reach of pets and children.
Deer Flies are large in size and pose threat to both humans and animals, making it necessary to get rid of them as soon as possible. The best products to get rid of them are sticky traps as they are natural and safe to use around children, animals, and birds as well. They lure the flies and make sure that they don’t escape and cause harm to anyone.